So I am continually hearing the phrase “Prepare your elevator pitch…”… and it got me thinking… if I had 20 seconds to sell my skills or products to a potential employer or investor… what would I say…
- Why should any employer hire me?
- Why should anyone buy my products?
- What’s unique about me or my products?
So many questions…
- What is an elevator pitch? It is that quick straight-to-the-point persuasive speech that you give someone who would generate additional interest in you, or idea or your project or your start-up or your products.
Reading up on this, here’s some pointers that you may find useful in crafting a great pitch, that can be changed often, but tailored to your particular audience.
Who, what, why, next steps….
- Who are you and what do you do?
- What’s unique about you? An article calls it your “Unique Selling Proposition (USP)”
- Why should anyone listen to you?
- Next steps… call to action, if you have a business card (which you should always have with you), now is time to exchange it; Are you on LinkedIn (and you should be, and keep it professional)?
- Follow-up with this lead.
- Continually practice and tweak your “elevator pitch”.
- Crafting the Perfect Elevator Pitch (missyward.com)
- What’s an Elevator Pitch? (getdowntobusiness.typepad.com)
- 7 Tips for a Great Elevator Pitch (stopnswapaz.com)
- Create the Perfect Elevator Pitch – Land That Job (leadyoucareerconsulting.com